Pages

Monday, August 12, 2013

"My First Taste of Ironman" or Ironman Switzerland Recap

Race week:
I arrived in Zurich on Thursday morning, which was just enough time to get everything ready for race day, get over any jetlag and relax a bit. I spent the pre-race days with my sister, which was much better than being by myself. Plus I only see her for a few days a year anyway... The rest of my family arrived in Zurich only on Friday evening and they stayed at a camping ground about 10mi from the city center (and our hotel).

I did very little exercise after arriving in Switzerland (1h bike ride on Thu, 20min run and 25min swim on Friday and about 15min bike ride on Saturday) and tried to stay off my feet as much as possible.

Race morning:
I woke up at 4:30am and felt quite good since I went to bed around 9pm the day before and slept a lot on Thursday and Friday nights too. Since almost all of my stuff, including my bike, was already in the transition, I didn't have to carry much more to the race site. My sister and I and a bunch of other athletes took the first tram of the day that passed by our hotel, which got us to the race site a bit before 6am. I wish there was an earlier tram because in the end I didn't have any time for a swim warm-up. As a result, I decided to take it easy at the beginning and staged myself about 1/3 from the back at the start. Overall, I felt very calm and relaxed. It was great to have my sister with me – she took my pump after I used it (it couldn't go into any of the transition bags) and also took pictures during the whole day.

Swim (1:28:41 - no wetsuits allowed since the water temperature was a few degrees above 76.1F):

The swim was very, very crowded.

There were two swim waves – the pros (about 50 of them) who started at 6:55 and all the age groupers (almost 2500 of us) who started at 7:00. The first 10min or so of the swim were quite an experience. I couldn't really take it easy because I was in the midst of 2500 other swimmers, some of which were accidentally trying to drown me. So I breathed on every 2nd instead of every 3rd stroke and I was still gasping for air. My heart rate was probably in my high zone 3 or even in zone 4. Once the initial craze calmed down a bit and I had a little bit of space to breathe, I managed to pass quite a few people. It seemed that my swim pace was decent. But my navigation was pretty bad. I was usually swimming 10-20m away from the buoy and because of quite a bit of slower or about the same speed swimmers in front of me, I also didn't go straight as I was trying to pass them. To make things even worse, our swim caps were the same color as most of the buoys (yellow), so the buoys did not stand out so well. Fortunately the buoys at the turns were orange. My swim ended up being 9min slower than what I considered the slowest acceptable time for me (1:20), which was disappointing. My GPS recorded 2.75mi (instead of 2.4mi). Later I learned that this was not just because of my poor navigation during the race but the course was very probably a bit longer than it was supposed to be.

T1 (3:57): I took it easy in both transitions because I didn't want to forget something important in a rush. T1 was pretty uneventful. Since wetsuits were not allowed for the swim, I only took off my cap and goggles, put on sunglasses, helmet, socks and shoes, put some extra race nutrition in my pockets (I already had 4 gels taped to the bike), grabbed my bike and off I went. My sister was cheering me on at the transition exit and managed to take a pretty good picture too :-)

Bike (5:35:49):

On the flat section of the course.

I definitely started the bike a bit too fast. Against the advice of all the books and articles I read and against my rough plan to keep my heart rate on the bike in the 150s (high zone 2 / low zone 3 for me), I immediately went into 160s, cruising the initial 19mi flat section at 25mph. I don't think I ever did a race with such a long flat section. I was overexcited and over-tapered :-) but also a bit disappointed in my swim, which all contributed to me riding at a bit higher intensity than I probably should have. I also enjoyed passing a lot of people :-)

I felt pretty good for the first of the two laps. My family was cheering me on at the top of the tallest hill on the course, called "The Beast", which was around mile 40. They seemed to be even more excited than me :-) From the top of The Beast it was all downhill (with a couple pretty steep sections where we were banned from using the aerobars) until we were back at the flat around Lake Zurich. It was maybe 6mi from the bottom of the hill back to the start. Then we did another 6mi mini-loop with a short (0.5mi) but steep (8.5% average) climb, called the Heartbreak Hill.

Climbing Heartbreak Hill - spectators lined both sides of the road (cheering) and left only about a meter wide space to pass through.

I finished the first lap in around 2:45, which was quite a bit better than I expected, so I changed my goal of riding a 5:45-6:00 total to riding around 5:30 or at least under 5:36, which would be 20mph average speed. At the same time I knew that I probably should back off a bit on the intensity since I still had a marathon to run. So I backed off (riding the second lap around 2:50 even without a portapotty visit like in my first lap) and tried to take in a bit more nutrition than on the first lap (almost certainly mistake to eat more closer to the run) since I was starting to get tired.

I don't exactly remember what I consumed during lap 1 but I think it was 1 powerbar, 2-3 gels (GU), a bottle of my own sports drink (Heed), a bottle of their sports drink (Powerbar) and maybe 2 bottles of water. I didn't really have much appetite to start with and it decreased as the race went on. On the second lap I decided to drink more sports drink and less water since I was afraid that I might not be taking in enough electrolytes. So I probably drank 2 or 3 bottles of the Powerbar drink and a bottle of water on the second lap (with maybe 2/3 of a Powerbar bottle in the last 3mi). I also had 3-4 gels (6 total for the bike - the last one with about 30min to go) and 1.5 Larabar. Right now when I wrote it down, it seems like a lot (it probably was) and it definitely could have been spread out better (more in the first half, less in the second half). I didn't think I would have drank so much fluids (at least 6 bottles = 3-4 liters) but it was pretty hot (90F+) and I really did not want to become dehydrated.

T2 (6:09):
I took even longer in T2 than in T1 - I don't think that ever happened to me! I didn't want to get blisters or any major chaffing on the run, so I put vasoline on and between my toes and changed from my tri top into a shirt because I couldn't apply vaseline on where my tri top usually chafes (neck/chest area) while I was covered in sweat. I was also considering changing my shorts into a regular running shorts but in the end decided that that was not necessary.

Run (4:34:14 or about an hour slower than I was planning to run :-( WARNING: this might be a bit too detailed)
My main concern at the beginning of the run was that the outer sides of my feet would hurt since my cycling shoes started feeling a bit too tight about 4-5 hours into my ride (probably a result of my feet expanding when I ride long (it happened to me in training too) - if anyone has suggestions for this, let me know). But I was fine - thank you, Newtons, for being so soft and flexible :-)

I started running at about 8:30min/mile (my goal was 8:00-8:30min/mile). My heart rate was about the same as it was during the bike (160s), which is a moderate effort for me on the run and it was what I planned on doing. I smiled and waved at my sister who was standing at about mile 1. She said I looked great (which I did compared to people already on their 2nd-4th lap). After 2 miles I decided to visit a portapotty since my stomach felt slightly queasy and I needed a pee break anyway. I thought - well, this (diarrhea) sometimes happens to me at long training runs too, good that I took care of it now. And I continued running at ~8:30min/mile pace. In not even 5mi I had to go again... I thought - hopefully this is the last time I need to stop like this. But in 2mi I had to stop again :-( At that point I was certain I wouldn't be consuming any gels on the run (even before this GI disaster I felt like puking just thinking about gels - maybe I should not have forced the last one on the bike...). So I alternated drinking the Powerbar drink, water and a bit of Cola and at one station I took a sip of Red Bull too. After 6 portapotty visits and with about 8mi to go, I decided to only drink water... My pace was terrible by that point (9-10min/mile) because I had a side stitch and I was afraid that if I go faster, I'd immediately need to run into another portapotty :-( Plus, after about 3.5h of running my legs didn't feel that great either - I never ran longer than 3h 35min! I even started to take walking breaks when the stitches got worse.

The run was mostly very uncomfortable up to painful...

I didn't expect this run to go like this! (Fortunately???) most people around me were either running 9+ min/mile or were walking too, so I didn't get passed much (other than when I had to go to the bathroom - there was this woman who kept passing me every time I had to go and then I passed her back before I had to go again – I wonder what she thought of me... but at least I beat her in the end!).

Back to 8mi to go though... At that point my dad (and partially my mom and brother), who came down to Zurich on their bikes, were riding along the course and taking zillions of pictures of me. I usually appreciate people taking pictures of me racing but after my dad shouted "smile at the camera!" several times, I wanted to punch him in the face :-) Still it was nice to have them around and see how much they enjoyed watching the race. Plus, it motivated me to not walk as much.

With about 6mi to go (last lap!), I had to go to the bathroom again despite my water-only “nutrition strategy". But when I opened the portapotty at the nearest aid station, I was greeted with human waste overflow (read: poop above the level of the toilet seat), which disgusted me too much, so I immediately shut the door and started walking to the next aid station (about 1K away). I tried to jog at times but it was not sustainable. With only a few hundred meters to the next portapotty, my brother came next to me (on his bike) and gave me a chance to have someone listen to my complaints about the whole situation :-) Fortunately the following portapotty was the last one I needed to use and I managed to run the last 5mi at about 10min/mile pace. (Not) surprisingly, I was running relatively fast compared to the rest of the crowd, which felt good. Plus, I managed to pass one girl in my age group (another one of those who passed me every time I had to stop) with about 2mi to go.

Last Lap - looking (relatively) fast!



Sprinting to the finish (not dark yet, just cloudy)


 

I sort-of sprinted to the finish line, though I was also trying to not look like I am at death's door because that's how I usually look at the end of shorter triathlons :-D

Post-Race:
Once I got my medal and a Mylar blanket to keep warm, I felt pretty tired and sore (but not as sore as after a standalone marathon!). So I lied down and asked my sister to hold my feet up. This didn't last long since my family wanted to take a picture, call my grandparents etc. Still, did I mention that it was very very nice to have them around and being so supportive? :-) They had to leave right after taking the pictures because it was already raining and thundering and they had to bike 10 hilly miles back to their camp ground.

I slowly collected my stuff - white bag with "street clothes", food, finisher's T-shirt, blue and red transition bags and my bike in exchange for my timing chip. Once again it was great that I had my sister with me because she took some of my stuff and rode my bike back to the hotel while I took a tram back.

Back at the hotel I looked up my results and found out that I was 6th in my age group (out of 18), which was better than I expected after my very disappointing run and pretty disappointing swim, but at the same time I was pretty bummed that I was "only" 46min behind the 3rd person in my AG and 50min behind the 2nd one - a difference that I think I could have easily made up if I didn't have my GI issues... But those issues were at least partially my fault (eating more in the second half of the bike than in the first half, not practicing my real race nutrition and race intensity in training and going too hard on the bike), so I shouldn't complain. Next time WILL be better. Hopefully at Mont-Tremblant 2014 :-)

----------------------------------------------------------

Lessons (hopefully) learned:

1) Practice race nutrition in training:
  •     a) If I plan to use a sports drink during an IM, I should at the very least do a couple of my long rides and runs with it. 
  •     b) As much as gels are practical, if I don't use them on the bike in training, maybe I shouldn't use as many of them as I did during the race. Maybe more energy bars or even something salty would work better on the bike. 

2) Practice race pace during my long rides and runs and stick to my pacing plan during the race (at least for the first half of the bike).

3) Do longer transition runs after long rides: I suspect some people might not agree with this but I think that doing at least a couple 7-10 mile runs after 5-6 hour rides would be beneficial for figuring out the best nutrition strategy for running long off a long bike since I don't think I can simulate this well enough in my standalone long runs...

4) Position myself closer to the front at the start and don't swim so wide around the buoys.

4 comments:

  1. What a recap! Even though I knew that you finished in an amazing time, I was still on the edge of my seat.

    Firstly, that swim looks absolutely terrifying. How you managed not to panic in the midst of all of that I do not know.

    Your bike time is astounding to me. I don't know much about these things, but surely that's a very speedy time indeed?

    I've been experimenting with gels for marathons, and I have to agree with you that more than one or two is just too much for the average human digestive system to handle. But you coped with the digestive distress very well and did not fall apart psychologically as I would have done. I was so jazzed that you passed the other lady in the end :)

    It was lovely to hear about how your family all turned up to support you - that's just wonderful. I'm sure they were immensely proud of you, just as I am, and just as you should be!

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading, Jess!

      Yes, my bike time was very good (3rd best in my age group) but I definitely went a bit too hard on the bike, which definitely negatively impacted my run. It might even have caused the indigestion/diarrhea - if I went a bit easier, my stomach would have easier time to digest the food. But who knows. I need to practice race conditions more in training.

      Regarding the run, I had quite a few doubts that I wouldn't finish (especially on the 3rd lap of the run) but if I didn't finish, it would have been due to me giving up (because even if I walked the second half of the marathon, I'm pretty sure I would have been able to finish under the 16-hour time limit). But yeah, I hated most of the run.

      I've eaten quite a few gels during long runs and marathons (I usually have 4 during a marathon). I've eaten gels on the bike during triathlons too but I don't think I've ever had more than 3 of them on the bike (during a half Ironman). I think gels can be great when they work as they should - i.e. give you an almost immediate burst of energy when you are starting to get tired. But I think from now on I'll use them sparingly during the bike that is followed by a run... (I'd use solid food, some sports drink and maybe salt tablets instead.)

      Hope you are well! xxx

      Delete
  2. Wow! It sounds like an amazing race for sure!! I cannot even begin to imagine running a marathon with such GI issues and I think I would also be prone to wind up in that boat if I were to ever try a triathlon even half that distance! I'm one of those people who doesn't eat or drink anything ever during runs. My coaches always used to say, "You don't get to eat or drink during a race, so you don't get to train that way either." This is true for shorter distances like the ones I ran back then, but I've never really been able to transition into getting used to it for longer races. I really had to practice drinking for the only marathon I ran, and I only consumed one gel during it. So, I can only imagine it must be really difficult to train for something where you will almost certainly need to take in a lot of fluids and gels/powerbars. Kudos to you for keeping going though. The few times I've found myself in that type of situation during training, I got out my bus pass and rode home or to the track nearby where I lived. Now you can say you've done an Ironman though -- and I think your results are amazing too!! Very few people could do what you did!

    Also, side note, I know of a lady (she went to my church) who actually died during the swim portion of a triathlon! Apparently, she was being drowned by those around her, overexerted herself to get away and had a heart attack. It sounds absolutely terrifying to me to swim with so many people around! How did you get used to swimming like that? I suppose, my fear might in part be due to the fact that I am a very poor swimmer when it comes to swimming freestyle. I can swim a sort-of-decent breaststroke (as in I'm sort of fast but don't have the best form) but I always get water in my ears swimming freestyle and would probably screw up pretty quickly if someone were to kick me. I always think that completing just the swim portion of triathlons is amazing in and of itself!

    Also a random question comes to mind regarding the bike section: is it common for aerobars to be banned during certain portions of races? If this is common, I'm just curious how you shift gears during that section... or do you just not shift gears for a while.

    As always, I loved reading your recap :) I knew your overall finish would be good but it was still suspenseful because I was wondering how you would overcome the general feelings of awfulness during the run. I also have to admit that I am somewhat surprised by the high temperatures in Switzerland. I was thinking that being so near to the Alps would mean it would be cooler. However, this summer was pretty crazy. My relatives in southern Germany probably had hotter weather than we did here in Chicago for a while... which doesn't usually happen. I hope that the rest of your summer has been good and I'll look forward to your next entry whenever it is. I've "followed" your blog address, so hopefully I'll stay up-to-date :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kris,

      thank you for your comment and I'm sorry it took me so long to reply!

      Regarding your questions:
      1) Nutrition while running: I've never eaten or drank during a run until I started training for a marathon. I've never really had a problem with eating gels and drinking water or sports drink (from a hand-held bottle) but I guess the key to get used to it is to practice on every long run. I usually end up eating more during the races than during my long runs since at higher intensities my body needs more carbs and also when I'm getting tired or sore, I usually believe that a gel (especially a caffeinated one!) will give me an immediate boost (which it usually does). Also, planning to eat gels at certain points in the race is good for segmenting the distance (only X miles until my next gel - yay! ;-)).

      2) That's terrible about the lady who died :-( I guess that's always a risk with open water swimming but it's still terrible. I used to panic during the swimming legs of triathlons during my first 2 years of racing. I don't think it was the people (since most of them usually dropped me right at the start :-\ - non-Ironman triathlons usually don't have more than 100 people per swim wave) but just the fear that I will get tired somewhere far from the shore and drown. Not to mention the gasping for air when you put your face into a sub-60F water. So back then I usually alternated between free-style and breast stroke. I think the best way to get over the fear of getting tired far away from the shore is to do enough open water swims and then convince yourself that most of the races are not that much different from swimming in a calm lake with only a few other people :-)

      3) I'm not sure I encountered the "aerobar ban" in a non-drafting triathlon before. In other races they usually just say "slow down" and/or "don't pass other people" on the more steep or bumpy downhill sections. But the no-aerobar sections of IM Switzerland bike were really not safe to be ridden in aerobars. They were usually 10-20% grade downhill (usually less than a mile) with a sharp turn at the end of it. I had to brake a bit on all these sections and just coasted down them, so shifting was not necessary. But even if it was, it's not that hard to shift even outside of your aerobars, though I'm not sure if that was forbidden as well.

      Anyway, I need to go now but once again thank you very much for your comment and next time I'll try to be quicker to respond!

      xxx

      Delete